Enough about rocks and stones

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Nov 20 11:01:12 UTC 2003

:-) Does it take an old hillbilly musician to tell you that Dolly Parton's
use of the word stone is southern usage and also well within country music
tradition.

Ever hear of Luke the Drifter aka Hank Williams?

Here is something I pulled off the internet in about 20 seconds.

Of course you have to know and love hillbilly music to have ever heard this
song or for that matter have sung it in public. :-)

Page Stephens, AB, PhD, AEPN

Amateur Everything Professional Nothing, Cleveland, Ohio

Dion - Be Careful Of Stones That You Throw Lyrics
      Artist IndexLyrics IndexAlbum Index

      Artist: Dion
      Buy Dion's CD
      Be Careful Of Stones That You Throw

      -Artist: Dion
      -peak Billboard position # 31 in 1963
      -previously recorded by Hank William, Sr. (as "Luke the Drifter") in
1952
      -later recorded by Hank Williams, Jr. and charted at # 37 in 1969
      -Words and Music by Bonnie Dodd

      (So be careful of stones that you throw)

      Oh, a tongue can accuse and carry bad news
      Gossip is cheap and it's lo-o-ow
      So unless you've made no mistakes in your life
      Just be careful of stones that you throw

      SPOKEN: A neighbor was passin' my garden one time. She stopped and I
knew
      right away that it was gossip, not flowers, she had on her mind. And
this
      is what I heard
      my neighbor say-"You know, that girl down the street should be run
from
      our midst. She
      drinks and she talks quite a lot. She knows not to speak to my child
and
      me." My neighbor
      then smiled and I thought

      Oh, a tongue can accuse and carry bad news
      Gossip is cheap and it's lo-o-ow
      But unless you've made no mistakes in your life
      Be careful of stones that you throw

      SPOKEN: Just then a car speeded by in the screamin' of brakes-a sound
that
      made my blood chill. For my neighbor's one child had been pulled from
the
      path
      and saved by a girl lyin' still. The child was unhurt and my neighbor
      cried out "Oh,
      who was that brave girl so sweet?" I covered the crushed broken body
and
      said
      "The bad girl who lived down the street."

      So unless you've made no mistakes in your life
      Just be careful of stones that you throw

      Transcribed by Robin Hood

      ©2001-2002 LyricsXP.com. Privacy Statement  |  Contact Us