cooter shell as rumble seat

Davis, Boyd BDavis at EMAIL.UNCC.EDU
Sun Nov 23 15:55:31 UTC 2003

The Archives show that during a discussion of(car) trunk vs boot

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:01:20 -0500, Thom Harrison
<THarriso at MAIL.MACONSTATE.EDU>
 said:

<Actually, where I grew up (north Florida in the 1950s), that part of <the
car was called the cooter shell, at least by some of my relatives.  <This
may have been jocular usage, but it had some currency.

One of the residents in the assisted living site I visit says 'cooter shell'
was what young folks called the rumble seat; W, F, 80+, grew up in formerly
rural small town outside of Charlotte; she'd like to know if this usage is
attested anywhere else