"twit"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 29 16:12:33 UTC 2003

I'd have to agree that it's not familiar to most Americans, which is
consistent with the fact that many Americans are indeed familiar with
it, whether from the Monty Python shows and movies or other sources.
For me, "silly twit" is the standard collocation, and that first
depiction of Prince Charles with carnation and furled umbrella does
indeed sound like a clip-art icon from those old Python sequences.
_Twit_ is evidently a deverbal noun, with the first OED cite (in the
relevant meaning) only as old as 1936, although there's an apparently
related sense that goes back to 1719.  I'm not sure I see the logic
of the separation between the OED's senses (2a vs. 2b) on this one.
I was also wondering what kind of "misuse" Safire had in mind, but
then my Times got hurled up onto my driveway and now I see it's from
a reference to a Virginia sportswriter noting that Washington
defensive end and all-time sacks leader Bruce Smith was "in a twit"
over the fact that he wasn't in the starting lineup.  I agree with
Safire that it was almost certainly a snit the writer was thinking of
Smith as being in, but perhaps there's some influence from "atwitter"
here as well.

Larry

Larry