Gorilla warfare

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Oct 1 14:43:45 UTC 2003

Quoting Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>:

> It was popularized by Malcolm Gladwell who wrote an article for the New
> Yorker in 1996 on the subject, then a successful book.

> On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 09:10 AM, James A. Landau wrote:
>
> > Has anyone run across the phrase "tipping point".  I don't recall
> > having
> > heard it before, then in the past week I saw it twice on-line.

Gladwell didn't coin the phrase.

The following appears on Usenet, soc.culture.indian, 23 Oct 1992:

"Another view suggests that a tipping point in discrimination occurs when
minorites evidence successes as this is perceived to be threatening to the
host
society."

I'm a bit surprised it is this late. The metaphor is fairly obvious and basic.

--
Dave Wilton
dave at wilton.net
http://www.wilton.net/dave.htm