Poutine (1957, 1981, 1982)

vida morkunas vidamorkunas at TELUS.NET
Wed Oct 1 23:41:47 UTC 2003

as a former Quebecker now living in Vancouver BC, I feel obliged to defend
the honour of poutine.

it's delicious.

...when prepared correctly.

folks here just don't get it.  however, there's hope.  NY Fries (!!) makes a
decent poutine, and then, there's the little Mom and Pops opening up in
downtown Vancouver, catering to the ever-increasing influx of urban former
Montrealers.  They fly in the curds, the smoked meat, and the Jos Louis
pastries overnight from Montreal !

cheers -

Vida.
vidamorkunas at telus.net

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of J. Eulenberg
Sent: October 1, 2003 8:16 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Poutine (1957, 1981, 1982)

Poutine has made it to the west coast, and as my Canadian friend says, at
least here it is the most disgusting concoction you can imagine.  No
barbecue sauce in British Columbia.  Here, poutine (on more menus than you
would have guessed; even found in a Chinese restaurant in Quesnel)
consists of french fries with gravy.  There may have been cheese curds,
but I avoided looking more than once.  It would have been considered rude
by those who'd ordered it.

Julia Niebuhr Eulenberg <eulenbrg at u.washington.edu>