Pablum (1931, 1932); Julekake (1938)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 2 03:01:42 UTC 2003

JULEKAKE

   Beverly Flanagan wanted me to do better with "julekake."  The TORONTO STAR
has a nice cooking column, so I've done better--by two months!

   7 October 1938, TORONTO STAR, pg. 30, col. 6:
   The Hutzelbrot which Nancy had served to her club proved such a success
that other members of the group[ said, "Why don't we make some more of those
good rich fruited breads?  We can practise up ahead for Christmas.  But after all
I don't see why we have to wait for the holidays to have something so good."
   It was Mrs. Knutsen who served them with a Norwegian Christmas bread
called Julekake.

PABLUM

And Helen Quinn quite rightly adds two trademark names that have become words
in common international usage to my list of Canadian exported terms.  These
are _Pablum_ and _Fuller Brush man._.  The first was invented in Toronto at the
Sick Kid's; the second comes from the Maritimes where Mr. Fuller.was raised.
--TORONTO STAR, 31 October 1962, pg. 37, col. 8.

   "Pablum" is not mentioned at all in John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF
AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999).
   OED lists the 1932 trademark by Mead, Johnson & Co, Evansville, Indiana.
As in Hoosiers, not hosers.
    Merriam-Webster gives 1948 for the word "pablum" (from the trademark) and
1733 for the word "pabulum" (L., food).
    Here's the trademark:

Word Mark   PABLUM
Goods and Services  (EXPIRED) IC 030. US 046. G & S: SPECIALLY PREPARED
CEREAL FOOD CONSISTING OF A MIXTURE OF WHEAT MEAL, OATMEAL, AND YELLOW CORN MEAL,
TO WHICH HAVE BEEN ADDED WHEAT EMBRYO, DRIED YEAST, POWDERED DEHYDRATED ALFALFA
LEAF, AND POWDERED BEEF BONE PREPARED FOR HUMAN USE. FIRST USE: 19320604.
FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19320604
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   71327942
Filing Date June 13, 1932
Registration Number 0297897
Registration Date   October 4, 1932
Owner   (REGISTRANT) MEAD JOHNSON & COMPANY CORPORATION INDIANA OHIO STREET
AND SAINT JOSEPH AVENUE EVANSVILLE INDIANA
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Renewal 2ND RENEWAL 19721004
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD

     The first citation of "pablum" in the TORONTO STAR is 17 January 1934,
pg. 16, col. 3 ad, "MEAD'S PABLUM COOKED CEREAL...45c."
      But wait--let's GOOGLE:

http://www.mta.ca/faculty/arts/canadian_studies/english/about/study_guide/doct
ors/better_foods.html

        Canadian Medicine: Doctors and Discoveries
        Better Foods, Improved Nutrition: Pablum and Children's Health
 During the 1920s and 1930s, considerable time and effort were spent studying
the science of artificial feeding. The scientific management of child-rearing
in general - from food to behaviour advice - increased the professional role
and authority of physicians in child care issues. Society seemed to welcome
the scientific approach to infant feeding and food and bought products that
advertised increased nutritional value for their children. In 1931, Pablum, an
infant cereal containing necessary minerals and vitamins for children's health,
became available in Canada and the United States. The food was heralded as an
excellent cereal addition to the infant's diet and remains a popular infant
food today. It was three Canadian doctors - Frederick Tisdall (1893-1949),
Theodore Drake (1891-1959), and Alan Brown (1887-1960) - who developed Pablum at the
Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.
   Tisdall was a pediatrician interested in nutritional research. In 1929, he
became the director of the hospital's nutritional research laboratories and
pursued various projects towards improved children's health. By early 1930,
Tisdall, Drake, Brown and others announced their first new major product towards
the betterment of children's diets. That product was Sunwheat, a biscuit
containing whole wheat, wheat germ, milk, butter, yeast, bone meal, iron, and
copper. It boasted a high vitamin content of A, B1 and B2, D, and E. McCormick's
food company agreed to market the product and all royalties were returned to the
Toronto Pediatric Foundation for further research at the Hospital for Sick
Children.
   Six months later, Tisdall, collaborating with Brown and Drake, announced
the development of another, more important food product for children - Pablum
(from the Latin word pabulum, meaning food). This was an infant cereal product
that unlike other cereal mixtures had the necessary minerals and five of the
six known vitamins that growing children needed. The five vitamins were A, B1
and B2, D and E, and were produced from a mixture of wheat, oats, corn, and
bone meal plus wheat germ, dried brewer's yeast, and alfalfa. This was all
ground, mixed, dried, and pre-cooked. The Mead Johnson company in the United States
agreed to sell the new product. And it sold well! Like Sunwheat, royalties
from Pablum sales reverted to the Toronto Paediatric Foundation for research for
a period of twenty-five years.
   Over the next several years, Tisdall and others at the Hospital for Sick
Children introduced more nutritionally-improved products for children. For
example, in the 1930s, they instigated the adding of Vitamin D to bread flour and
milk, which eliminated the need for daily doses of cod liver oil for many
children. For that alone, many Canadians (particulary those taking cod liver oil)
have thanked these Toronto pediatricians for their work on nutrition and
diets.

(Oh, all right!  I'll give Canada pablum!  "Pablum," the national cuisine!!
Canadians on the list, please, please don't kill me.  It's a joke--ed.)"