"herring-broth" revisited

Philip E. Cleary philip.cleary at VERIZON.NET
Sat Oct 4 16:34:09 UTC 2003

<Jim is correct that the implication was that they weren't
quite as Irish as we were who had parents and grandparents who came
directly from Ireland to Boston.  There was also another term
suggesting a bit of smug superiority over those "Irish" who came from
the Maritimes---they were referred to as "Two boaters." Does anyone
else recall that usage?>

I don't, strictly speaking, recall the usage of "two boaters," but I do
remember that my Boston born and bred father (himself the grandson of a two
boater) once told me about the expression. I don't remember if he said it
was used in his youth (early 20th c.) or if he was referring to the usage of
a prior generation.

Phil Cleary