Topeppo (1934)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 4 22:26:43 UTC 2003

CORRECTION:  The "BTL" article (previous post) I headed "1931" was 1930, as it was in the text.  I copy directly the ProQuest header so I can't get that wrong.

   The ProQuest LOS ANGELES TIMES is now at the end of June 1935.  Keep going!  I need my Caesar Salad and Margarita and California Roll!
   This is of interest to you tomato people out there.

      THE TOPEPPO
       ROSS H GAST.       Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Feb 18, 1934.                   p. I10 (1 page):
   Curing recent weeks I have had several requests for information on the "topeppo," quite commonly believed to be a cross between the pepper and the tomato.  There has been a considerable amount of controversy on this vegetable, which is a variety of pepper with extremely heavy flesh.  The name "topeppo" was given it by a salesman.  It is a native of Mexico, I understand, but I do not know the Mexican name.  The topeppo is an excellent salad pepper and a very dersirable addition to any garden, but no one should plant it in anticipation of securing a "cross between a tomato and pepper."   ROSS H. GAST.

(Wouldn't that be a "topper"?--ed.)