"Hokey Pokey" Originator Dead (1907)

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Oct 5 03:47:01 UTC 2003

I think Doug is correct.  Using Ancestry.com, I found no cites from
1860-1886 in any context discussing ice cream.   But an 1887 cite is
interesting:

>From the Statesville(NC) Landmark, June 30, 1887, p. ?, col. 4,
   Titled "OUR NEW YORK LETTERS"

     Down town on the narrow streets where the crowds press sunstrokes
happen.  The Ice cart is a cool thing and in some of the poorer parts of the
city it is looked for as eagerly as the mail train at a country station.
Little dirty-legged children run after it, gather about it when it stops and
when the iceman breaks off a big lump scramble for the chips  The small boy
is never so happy as when he can steal a ride on the ice cart, unless,
indded, it is when he can buy "hokey-pokey" ice cream.  Hokey-pokey ice
cream is manufactured and sold by the Italians.  Its composition is a
mystery.  It is hawked about the streets in freezers on little hand-carts
bearing the legend in fantastic letters, "Hokey-Pokey Ice Cream."  The small
boy, by hook or by crook, obtains a cent and makes for that cart.  The
Italian removes the top of the freezer, dips up a dab of parti-colored ice
cream with a large spoon and serves it on a bit of brown paper.  The small
boy takes two or three little bites at it, then licks it all up and sucks
the paper.

And another cite, from the Bangor(ME) Daily Whig and Courier, June 6, 1891,
p. 1, col.  4

     The Italian "hokey pokey" cart which has appeared here in Brewer in
summers past, was yesterday again upon the streets.  The gong attached to it
sounds so nearly like the electric car gongs, that at least one person and
probably more, was deceived by it, and hastened to catch the car, which was
nowhere in sight.