Pie a la mode (1906?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 7 03:12:46 UTC 2003

   For what it's worth, this "a la mode" selection if from the NORTH AMERICAN WOMEN'S LETTERS AND DIARIES database.

 Searching Entire Database for a la mode. Your search found 7 occurrences

 1. Smith, Margaret Bayard. "Letter from Margaret Bayard Smith to J. Bayard Smith, Febuary 25, 1829"
[Page  281 |   Paragraph |   Section | Document]

will not mix in society and the private parties given are uninteresting to strangers, because there are no Secretaries or public characters there-- Genl. Jackson and his family, being in mourning,  decline all company, so that a Party must be grave and sober, to be a la mode. The crowds of strangers who are here, having no drawing-rooms, no parties, or levees to atend, surge about guessing for news and spreading every rumour as it rises and every day gives rise to new rumours about the Cabinet. Last week it was considered certainly fixed--

 2. Ames, Blanche Butler. "Letter from Blanche Butler Ames to Sarah Hildreth Butler, May 31, 1863"
[Page  93 |   Paragraph |   Section | Document]

that it was a mistake, and that he has not been on.  I must now tell you about my dress, for the Distribution is not far off. The skirt must be trimmed, but how I know not. You have seen the latest styles and know what is the most appropriate for a white dress. The waist I shall have made a la mode garibaldi, and trimmed considerably, so it is necessary that the skirt correspond. You did not say anything about a white muslin underskirt. Of course I must have one, so please do not forget to send it. If you do not get me a travelling dress I shall be obliged to wear the grey dress

 3. Powers, Elvira J.. "Diary of Elvira J. Powers, December, 1864"
[Page  144 |   Paragraph |   Section | Document]

who said he "enjoyed the Christmas dinner the most, for there wasn't so much style about it." Very excellent oyster soup for the light diet was given each time. Twenty-one hundred pies were issued for dinner, seventy-one cans of oysters, with eighteen hundred pounds of beef a la mode, also four barrels of pickles.  But this must have seemed so like a mockery to one mourning wife who is here. Sergeant Don A. Clark, a very worthy man and Christian, who, Chaplain Fitch says, "has suffered more than any other two men ever in this hospital," died just after midnight.

 4. Huling, Caroline A.. "Letter from Caroline A. Huling, 1906?"
[Page  129 |   Paragraph |   Section | Document]

I also noticed that books and letters handled by her were soiled and sticky. After gently calling her attention to the matter several times without avail, I was obliged to dismiss her. She had simply formed a habit that had become her master and she lacked either desire or will to conquer it. Pie "a la mode" is another foolishness that I frequently see. Pie or ice cream alone may be all right unless too rich for the individual digestion, but in combination I view it with horror and would expect one who indulges therein at lunch to be nervous and fretful during the afternoon.

 5. Hale, Betty May. "Diary of Betty May Hale, May, 1937"
[Page  147 |   Paragraph |   Section | Document]

a last glimpse before going to see the church where Josephine was buried. That little church was Reuil and we passed over the Seine and through the Bois de Boulogne and past the Arc de Triumphe and down the Champs Elysee to Rue Rivoli where our hotel was. Almost immediately we started for Boeuf "a la mode" but it was closed so we went to Griffon a very nice restaurant where they had lovely lobster soup and then we went to bed only after exercising well.    Sunday, May 23, 1937   Today we went to Fontainebleau and the sun was shining

 6. Morrison, Anna Daly. "Diary of Anna Daly Morrison, July, 1944"
[Page  282 |   Paragraph |   Section | Document]

pie. You come immediately to the Navy office, sign your papers, and then you will have to hunt Ann. She's hiding out somewhere." Bang went the receiver! Needless to say, Minnie obeyed her master's command, but she didn't find Ann.  Minnie fed us a delicious dinner at 6:30. The blackberry pie a la mode was super-- Harry's favorite. The trials and tribulations of the day were forgotten by the time we said good-night and Ray returned us to the hotel. Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Hewitt of Boise also were dinner guests at the Shinns'.

 7. Morrison, Anna Daly. "Diary of Anna Daly Morrison, August, 1948"
[Page  347 |   Paragraph |   Section | Document]

of the Seattle M-K office, transported us to the Olympic Hotel and the men went to the M-K office. Surprise-- it's not raining! Ray picked up the Wilburs, Paul and us at 5:30 and we went to the Shinns' for dinner. The food was delicious and the dessert was Minnie Shinn's own famous blackberry pie a la mode. Had a pleasant evening visiting and Minnie returned us to the hotel at 10:30 P. M.    August 3   Breakfast at 6:30. Minnie and Ray picked up the Wilburs and us at the hotel at 7 A. M. Paul, Ellis and Marvin went to the airport

Results Bibliography
 Smith, Margaret Bayard, 1778-1844,  Letter from Margaret Bayard Smith to J. Bayard Smith, Febuary 25, 1829,  in The First Forty Years of Washington Society in the Family Letters of Margaret Bayard Smith.  Hunt, Gaillard.  New York, NY:  Frederick Ungar Publishing,  1906, pp. 424.  [Bibliographic Details] [2-25-1829] S74-D070

 Ames, Blanche Butler, 1847-1939,  Letter from Blanche Butler Ames to Sarah Hildreth Butler, May 31, 1863,  in Chronicles from the Nineteenth Century:  Family Letters of Blanche Butler and Adelbert Ames Married July 21st, 1870,  vol. 1.  Ames, Blanche Butler, comp..  Clinton, MA:  Privately published,  1957, pp. 719.  [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [5-31-1863] S332-D113

 Powers, Elvira J.,  Diary of Elvira J. Powers, December, 1864,  in Hospital Pencillings: Being a Diary While in Jefferson General Hospital, Jeffersonville, Indiana and Others at Nashville, Tennessee, as Matron and Visitor.  Boston, MA:  E.L. Mitchell,  1866, pp. 218.  [Bibliographic Details] [12-2-1864] S975-D007

 Huling, Caroline A.,  Letter from Caroline A. Huling, 1906?,  in Letters of a Business Women to Her Niece.  New York, NY:  R.F. Fenno & Company,  1906, pp. 313.  [Bibliographic Details] [1906] S7478-D013

 Hale, Betty May,  Diary of Betty May Hale, May, 1937,  in My Trip to Europe, 1937.  San Francisco, CA:  W. Kibbee & Son,  1938, pp. 315.  [Bibliographic Details] [5-1-1937] S1165-D003

 Morrison, Anna Daly, 1884-1957,  Diary of Anna Daly Morrison, July, 1944,  in Diary of Anna Daly Morrison, Those Were The Days.  Boise, ID:  Em-Kayan Press,  1951, pp. 446.  [Bibliographic Details] [7-18-1944] S1105-D099

 Morrison, Anna Daly, 1884-1957,  Diary of Anna Daly Morrison, August, 1948,  in Diary of Anna Daly Morrison, Those Were The Days.  Boise, ID:  Em-Kayan Press,  1951, pp. 446.  [Bibliographic Details] [8-1-1948] S1105-D109

Produced in collaboration with the University of Chicago.
 Send mail to Editor at AlexanderSt.com  with questions or comments about this web site.
 Copyright © 2001 Alexander Street Press, LLC.  All rights reserved.
 PhiloLogic Software, Copyright © 2001 The University of Chicago.