from louis menand's pen

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Oct 8 14:35:13 UTC 2003

Arnold, please send your findings to Menand!  I suspect he and others,
despite their p.c. prating about this "rule," have never really thought it
through.  In fact, his way too long article on the Chicago Manual of Style
was just the typical New Yorkerish pedantry--the Manual is 900+ pages and
still not complete enough to satisfy writers' needs?!  Give me a break!