Radio Glossary (1935), with hand "OK" sign, "Peace" sign

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 9 06:44:38 UTC 2003

      GLOSSARY OF RADIO'S NEW TERMS COMPILED
       CARROLL NYE.       Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los
Angeles, Calif.: Jul 7, 1935.              p. A6 (1 page)

   I sure had a difficult time reading this.  The NYPL doesn't pick up the
LOS ANGELES TIMES this early.  I might have to go to the Library of Congress
again, and it's closed on Monday (Columbus Day).
   In addition to the word glossary, there are hand signs that were used in
radio.  One is the "OK" sign.  This 1935 date is about two years earlier than
the Ballantine Beer ad campaign, and about five years earlier than the chef
usage (made famous on pizza boxes).
   There's also a "V for Victory" or "Peace" hand sign here.
   Just a wonderful article, if only I could read it.  I'll post the cite
here now for easy reference.