Antedating of "Musicologist"

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 10 13:04:09 UTC 2003

In a message dated > Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:31:14 -0400, Fred Shapiro <
> fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> quotes:
>
> musicologist (OED3 1915)
>
> 1893-4 _Proceedings of the Musical Association_ (20th Sess.) 47
> The temperament of the Indian scale has from time to time attracted
> considerable attention amongst acousticians and musicologists.

I find it interesting that the quote uses the word "temperament" to refer to
the selection of notes used in the scale, because TTBOMK (to the best of my
knowledge) the correct word is "temper" and the word "temperament" is used in
music only to refer to the emotional stability of musicians.

       - Jim Landau