The name "Jazzer"--(possibility of humorous French names)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Oct 11 19:09:13 UTC 2003

This is to both ads-l and ans-l. --

   In order to judge whether Jazzer might derive from French jaseur,
it's necessary to get a clear idea about the humorous U.S. or
Canadian surnames of French origin. In other words, the surname might
not exist in France but be present on this side of the Atlantic.

    One possible example: A man named Nicholas Beaugenou was born in
Canada, 1741, and eventually moved to St. Louis. Beaugenou is not
listed in Dauzat's dictionary of French names and is very possibly of
humorous origin; its literal meaning is "Beautiful Knee." Similarly,
there was a man named Beaupied ("Beautiful Foot").

    So, if humorous French names were possible on this side of the Atlantic,
it's not impossible that someone received the moniker "Chatterbox"
("Jaseur") by  a French speaker, and non-French-speakers altered it
slightly to "Jazzer."

Gerald Cohen