The name "Jazzer"--Jazzer & Gozlin

Mon Oct 13 15:51:24 UTC 2003

Johann Strauss, Jr. (1825-1899) wrote the Chatterbox
Polka -- Plappermaulchen Polka Op. 245, which was
subtitled 'A Musical Joke, named for Josef Strauss's
daughter, who evidently was a little chatterbox.  Of
course I don't know if it was on Johann's original
manuscripts, but I've performed this piece with an
orchestra and under the German title was the subtitle
"Jasseusse" (spelling from memory).  I have no idea
how conversant J. S., Jr was in French, and this may
simply have been added later by a publisher - but then
again, this might indicate the word was popularly
known and used to some extent outside of France, and
that there could possibly be a German tie to the name
Jazzer (jasseur) or the word jazz.

=====