Ancestry.com Searches

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 13 15:59:02 UTC 2003

If the Ancestry.com jockeys (Barry & Sam) are looking for things to search
on that database, here are nine sayings for which I would be interested in
whether Ancestry has anything earlier than the dates indicated:

The butler did it (anything before 1938)
Not tonight, Josephine (anything before 1911)
In God we trust; all others pay cash (anything before 1890)
May you live in interesting times (anything before 1939)
The South will rise again (anything before 1950)
Defeat from the jaws of victory (anything before 1891)
Meanwhile, back at the ranch (anything before 1944)
There's nobody here but us chickens (anything before 1963)
Close, but no cigar (anything before 1935)

Fred Shapiro