Arnie's Army (1962)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 13 19:50:59 UTC 2003

    The phrase (in today's newspaper) has gone from a golfer (Arnold P.) to a
body builder (Arnold S.).  I don't have the Augusta (GA) microfilmed
newspapers handy, but we'll at least get close to a date.

   17 July 1962, LANCASTER EAGLE GAZETTE (Lancaster, Ohio), pg. 11, col. 8:
   Palmer's fans, sometimes called "Arnie's Army," followed the Pennsylvanian
as he played his way through the course.

   11 April 1964, CHRONICLE-TELEGRAM (Elyria, Ohio), pg. 14, col. 3:
   If you ever wondered (Col. 4--ed.) where the phrase "Arnie's Army" came
from it was coined by a makeup man on the Augusta Chronicle...since then he's
become a brush salesman, which must prove something or other.