Pie a la mode (1903) & PUCK

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 15 01:22:03 UTC 2003

   Another ten hours of parking tickets today.  What a waste of a life...Not
only is my salary an embarrassment, but they didn't even pay for for two
different weeks.  I'm still owed pay for the blackout week two months ago.  I need
that money to buy a sandwich.
   Two students have tried to commit suicide by jumping at NYU's Bobst
Library.  Maybe George can tell me what they were reading?

PIE A LA MODE

   The NYPL has a NEW YORK HERALD clipping file, but it wasn't much help.
"PIE A LA MODE A TRUST CREATION" is the title of a public health story in the
NEW YORK HERALD< 7 November 1903, pg. 14, col. 1.
   The Cornell University digital library of international women's
periodicals provided this, a little earlier than OED's best pie:

   January 1903, AMERICAN KITCHEN MAGAZINE, pg. 158, col. 2:
   Many persons will prefer this combination to the pie with ice-cream,
sometimes known as pie a la mode.

PUCK

   Later in the year?  What happened to summer?  I've got a "hot dog" book
coming out.  How can I do "red hot" without PUCK and the CHICAGO TRIBUNE?

Subj:   RE: Chicago Tribune