Caketails & Pietinis; Murder Burger & Mugly

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 16 00:37:50 UTC 2003

CAKETAILS & PIETINIS

   From today's WALL STREET JOURNAL (I can't copy it; NYU Bobst has
restricted FACTIVA access and I'm avoiding the Bobst and its falling objects for a few
days), 15 October 2003, pg. 1, col. 4:

_Dinner and Drinks?_
_Now, They Come_
_In the Same Glass_

_"Bar Chefs" Add Ham, Basil_
   _And Gelatin to Cocktails;_
   _"Bloody Mary on a Plate"_
(...)
   Then there's the dessert cocktail.  A few months ago, the woners of the
New York City restaurant Dylan Prime, who also run a cocktail consulting company
called Drink Tank, developed Caketails and Pietinis, or cocktails that
imitate the taste of cake and pie.

(There's a photo of "The Amaretto Cheesecake Caketail," so expect this to
take off as the next hot food thing, just behind that naked "body sushi"--ed.)

MURDER BURGER

   I was walking to my miserable little (now non-paying!) job in the Bronx
and passed a sign at First Way Deli-Grocery, 1030 East Tremont Avenue, "HOME OF
THE MURDER BURGER."
   Can this be true?  A home for "Murder" advertised in the Bronx?
   I spoke to the man behind the counter.  It's simply a cheeseburger with
the works--lettuce, pickles. etc.  No, I didn't want to try "murder."
   There is a California franchise with this name.  It advertises burgers "to
die for."  Hey guys, Godfather's Pizza went out of business because of puns
like this.

(TRADEMARKS)
Typed Drawing
Word Mark     MURDER BURGER
Goods and Services  IC 042. US 100. G & S: RESTAURANT AND CARRY-OUT SERVICES.
FIRST USE: 19860602. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19860602
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   73611195
Filing Date July 24, 1986
Published for Opposition    December 30, 1986
Registration Number 1434346
Registration Date   March 24, 1987
Owner   (REGISTRANT) MURDER BURGER, INC. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 978 OLIVE
DRIVE DAVIS CALIFORNIA 95616
Attorney of Record  LEWIS ANTEN
Disclaimer  NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "BURGER" APART
FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark    SERVICE MARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text  SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

MUGLY

   I was looking through my GOOD HOUSEKEEPING files for "pie a la mode" when
I found April 1889, pg. 255, "Every-Day Desserts...Mugly...255."  Another
recipe for "Mugly" appears about a year later.
   Mugly?  An ugly mug?  Monkey ugly?  Mother-fucking ugly is an everyday
dessert?
    "Mugly"--the slang term--is not in the HDAS and not in the CASSELL
DICTIONARY OF SLANG.  There are several entries at urbandictionary.com.
    I didn't see "mugly" in the American Peiodical Series Online.  It must
not have made the LADIES' HOME JOURNAL, for some reason.