Tap Dancing (1924)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 16 06:44:48 UTC 2003

Five Points: The Nineteenth-Century New York City Neighborhood That Invented
Tap Dance, Stole Elections and Became the Worlds Most Notorious Slum
by <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books%26field-author=Anbinder%2C%20Tyler/102-4945333-7641756">Tyler Anbinder</A>

   In the name of the late Gregory Hines--is this true?  And if it is true,
is there a plaque anywhere in NYC to mark the spot of that first tap?
   I'm away from my ProQuest databases right now.  Merriam-Webster's 11th has
1928.  There are some more "hits" to check (Sam can look), but I gotta go.

   21 December 1924, INDIANAPOLIS STAR (Indianapolis, Indiana), pg.9, col. 5:
   The old buck and wing and tap dancing should not be snuffed out by such
inanities.

(O.O. McIntyre column from New York--ed.)