"hot dog" article, 1913: "skinned", "two ways from Sunday," "gentle art of lifting the coin," chile on hot dogs

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Oct 21 19:16:07 UTC 2003

This is message #3 on Meade's "hot dog" article. Sam Clements asks me
whether 1913 is early for chile on hot dogs (I'm not sure; I'll have
to check my notes).
"Two ways from Sunday"--This sort of expression was recently
discussed on ads-l.
"Gentle art of lifting the coin"--I suppose this refers to making money.

    Here's the passage:

        'Atlanta's Greeks, the men who control the "hot dog" industry
here, have old Julius Caesar and his compatriots skinned two ways
from Sunday in the gentle art of lifting the coin. In five years gone
by they have made the Sherman act blush with shame.  They are the
compeers of every other nation when it comes to forking "hot dogs"
and spreading the mustard, chile, and the sauerkraut.'

Gerald Cohen