"larrupin' truck"--message from Joan Hall

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Oct 21 20:36:32 UTC 2003

My thanks to Joan Hall for her message below concerning the meaning
of "larripun [sic; misspelled] truck" in the 1913 "hot dog" article
(Atlanta Constitution).
The full quote comes near the end of the article:
  "And now let's draw the curtain, but lest some readers might go
astray, or perhaps not grasp the intent of this effort, we want to
explain that it is not our desire to throw cold water on the "hot
dog."  Quite to the contrary, we want to reiterate that "hot dog" is
larripun [sic] truck, and is all to the mustard with a little catsup
and sauerkraut thrown in."

Gerald Cohen