Fwd: Re: [19cBB] Three Times Three a Tiger ?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 23 02:18:16 UTC 2003

At 9:04 PM -0500 10/22/03, Gerald Cohen wrote:
>>To: <19cBB at yahoogroups.com>
>>From: "Dean Thilgen" <vbbdeano at myinfmail.com>
>>Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:15:46 -0500
>>Subject: Re: [19cBB] Three Times Three a Tiger ?
>>

>>This discussion has me thinking about how three cheers evolved into
>>cheerleading. This webpage on the Princeton website is interesting:
>>http://alumni.princeton.edu/~ptoniana/locomotive.asp
>>
>>My question is, why was cheerleading associated with football early
>>on, and less so with baseball?

My guess is that football originated as, and for a long time was
still primarily, a college sport, while baseball is mostly associated
with professional players, and cheerleading is something you do in
school (high school or college).  There have been basketball
cheerleaders in high school and college for a long time too.  I think
that's the key difference rather than anything intrinsic to the
sports themselves, although the opposite position could be defended,
no doubt.

Larry