Sleep with dogs, wake up with fleas (1940)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 23 07:05:36 UTC 2003

   Some web sites give this as a Spanish proverb, but a few attribute it to
Hollywood actress Jean Harlow.  I don't know what Fred Shapiro has.  I haven't
checked ProQuest.
   Sleep with dogs?  I want to sleep with Catherine Zeta-Jones, but I can
never get her on her cell phone....Who needs sleep, anyway?  (He says, about to
fall asleep soon on a Greyhound bus.)

   15 June 1940, OSHKOSH NORTHWESTERN (Oshkosh, Wisconsin) , pg.5, col. 3:
_American at Crossroads; Beware Of_
_Fifth Columnists, Warns F. B. Keefe_
_In Address at Flag Day Ceremonies_
(...)
   Others, convinced that a nation of 130,000,000 people need not be alarmed
over the activities of a few communists, fascists, or nazis, have been content
to stick their heads under the sands of self-complacency and do nothing to
abate the nuisance.  They have said, "Why be alarmed and pay attention to a few
lice?"  Let me call attention to the fact, however, that a louse or a flea or
a rat can carry a plague.  A tapeworm can starve an athlete and those who
sleep with dogs may expect to wake up with fleas.