Fwd: Re: huzzah

Kim & Rima McKinzey rkmck at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Oct 23 20:14:32 UTC 2003

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Ed Keer <edkeer at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      Re: Fwd: Re: huzzah
>
>I recently went to a "Renaissance Faire" in NY State
>and neither the costuming or the language seemed
>authentic to my untrained eye/ear. It's interesting to
>hear that the "originals" were more authentic. What's
>the stpory on these things?

My understanding is that Phyllis Patterson, an English teacher,
started the original Renaissance Faire in Southern California a bit
over 30 years ago.  She started The Living History Center to bring,
well, living history to as many people as she could.  She wanted it
to be as historically accurate as possible, taking into consideration
modern hygiene and commercial interests.  Those folks who got
involved had to take classes/workshops in Elizabethan customs,
language, clothing, history, etc.  Every craftsperson could only sell
wares that could conceivably have been made then, and be there to
demonstrate - candlemaking, weaving, blacksmithing, whatever.  You
had to go through costume approval, booth approval, etc. in order to
participate.  Everyone was supposed to know enough to interact
appropriately with the paying customers.

Other, later fairs around the country were "Fantasy Fairs" and as far
as I know, didn't strive for any historical accuracy or knowledge at
all.

Rima