resyllabification

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 27 17:36:39 UTC 2003

At 8:44 AM -0400 10/27/03, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>arnold,
>
>It's how you identify real cheeseheads:
>
>Us: wis-con-sin
>
>Them: wi-scon-sin

There was an article in the Times a few years back suggesting this as
a shibboleth for Wisconsinites, and at least one of the hosts on
ESPN's SportsCenter talks about players from "Sconsin", where the
first (reanalyzed) syllable has been clipped off.  I was just doing
the reanalysis of "mistake" in class today (the match doesn't go out
for muh-stake but it does for the transparent mis-took, arguing for
the resyllabification yielding the st- onset), and it should work for
Wis-con-sin vs. Wuh-scahn-sin as well (or, obviously, "Sconsin") as
well.