Senior Citizen (1937)

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Tue Oct 28 03:19:20 UTC 2003

A JSTOR search turns up a bibiography reference in a review article in the
The American Economic Review, Vol. 29, No. 4. (Dec., 1939) to a
publication by D. Lasser called The Sixty Dollars at Sixty Pension
Plan: Minimum Security for our Senior Citizens, published by the
Workers Alliance of America. No date for the Lasser is given, and I
can't find it in the Stanford, Berkeley, or LOC catalogues, so
there's no way to tell if it's an antedate for the cites below.

It'd be interesting to know who first came up with this one -- it has
the sound of a New Deal coining. It begins to show up a lot in the
economics & finance literatures around 1940.

Geoff Nunberg