UN-words

Davis, Boyd BDavis at EMAIL.UNCC.EDU
Wed Oct 29 12:56:41 UTC 2003

I'm asking for my UNC-C colleague, Fred Smith, disjecta at cetlink.net, who's
looking at style in authors publishing just prior to WWII:

Is it true that there was in the last century, sometime prior to WWII,
something of an "explosion" of words using the prefix "un-"?  I have found
in the OED SUPPLEMENT such words as the following:  "unpublished" (1934),
"unphysiologi-cal" (1934), "unquote" (1935), "unpornographic" (1938),
"unproble-matic" (1944), etc.

He asks that people direct mail to him, as he is not a member; if the list
discusses this, I'll collect and send it to him. Thanks! Boyd Davis