quote-unquote

Thu Oct 30 11:29:33 UTC 2003

In two places (1994, Content-oriented discourse analysis and folk
linguistics. Language Sciences 16,2:285-330 and 1993, The uses of
folk linguistics. International Journal of Applied Linguistics
3,2:181-259) I have written about the "softener" (rather than
contradictory or synonym for "so-called") use of "quote-unquote."
It's a very interesting discourse ploy that could use some more work.
The examples I found were used in connection with the speaker's
sensitivity to references to social class.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor