Dulce de Leche

Geoff Nathan an6993 at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Oct 30 13:55:10 UTC 2003

At 12:01 AM 10/30/2003, you wrote:
>Â  "Dulce de Leche" is not in the OED. Â Not once, anywhere. Â There are
>37,100 Google hits. Â
>  Â  I've been aware of the Haagen-Daz product for some time:

I'm sure this isn't the earliest English citation, but Frank Loesser used
it in his musical 'Guys and Dolls' (1950), in a delightful scene where
Nathan Detroit takes Sarah (a teetotaling Salvation Army type) to Havana
and introduces her to the drink ('it's milk, with Bacardi, a sort of native
flavoring')  Sarah then observes that with a taste this good, there would
be no problem getting children to drink their milk.

Geoff