a small plea

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Oct 31 04:24:31 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:40:14PM -0500, Sam Clements wrote:
> I would think that broadening the range would require more people posting
> more messages about language variations in America.   The board is there for
> the posting.  But the posts just don't seem to come very frequently.  Any
> ideas on how to make that happen?
>
> I apologize to people on this board who have little interest in antedatings.
> I'm a big offender.  I'll try to do better.  But I assume that Jesse
> Sheidlower, as a co-owner of the list, has a small interest in people
> working for free to help make the OED(and M-W) be all that it can be.  If
> Jesse would prefer we post directly to OED, I'd be fine with that.

My co-ownership takes the form only of my willingness to
handle certain administrative duties; it gives me no say (or,
rather, no more say than anyone else) about what is transacted
on the list. I'd be happy to see a broader discussion about
other aspects of things-in-which-the-ADS-has-an-interest-in.

Personally, I don't think that we should ignore antedatings,
or shunt them to private channels.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED