a small plea

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Oct 31 05:04:19 UTC 2003

At 11:24 PM -0500 10/30/03, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

>Personally, I don't think that we should ignore antedatings,
>or shunt them to private channels.

    Thanks, Jesse. The antedatings provide important raw material for
the preparation of articles on etymology as well as valuable
information for lexicographers and insight for the general educated
public.  Researchers like Fred Shapiro deserve an expression of
gratitude for their tireless ferreting out of new information. If we
step back and look at the totality of his contributions (and those of
others like Douglas Wilson and Sam Clements), the reaction will
likely be one of awe.

    And there's no reason why anyone else who has some insight to
share (or question to ask or some other matter of interest) can't
send that along too.
By all means, let's encourage members to share their thoughts with
us, with everyone welcome to do so.

Gerald Cohen