Rush Hour/Minute; Pizzed

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 4 10:54:13 UTC 2003

RUSH HOUR/MINUTE

   This was on the Word Spy For "Rush Minute":

Backgrounder:
This phrase is a play on rush hour, a term that I would have guessed was
invented in the 1960s, or the 1950s at the earliest. Nope. Surprisingly, it
actually dates to the late 19th century. The Oxford English Dictionary supplies us
with the following citation from the October 8, 1898 edition of the Westminster
Gazette: "Trailer cars can be put on during the 'rush hours', mornings and
evenings."

It's possible that rush minute is older than I thought, as well. Linguist
Michael Quinion (see his excellent <A HREF="http://www.worldwidewords.org/">World Wide Words site</A>) passed the following
note along:

> This rather neat play on the better-known expression must have been
> independently invented by several people. I first heard it in 1971 from Colm
> Connolly, the presenter of a radio programme in Plymouth that I was producing, as a
> facetious comment on the smallness of some of the local communities. He
> probably picked it up from somebody in his home city of Dublin.

   I posted here several times on "rush hour."  I traced it to at least 1886.
 How could he possibly think "rush hour" is from the 1960s?   Why rely on a
moldy OED citation?
   Paul McFedries knows about the ADS.  He knows there are ADS-L archives.
Yet, he never checks them??
    I'll never get any respect.  It's always something this summer.  Either
the electricity goes out, or people overlook my work, or people make fun of me
while I'm doing eleven straight hours of parking tickets.  And it never ends.

PIZZED

   I like "pizzed," sort of a jazzy version of "pissed."  It perhaps should
be recorded in the slang dictionaries, along with "fvck."
    Google turns up hundreds of hits for "pizzed" along with this:

Did you mean: _pizza_