Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire! (1970)

James C. Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Tue Sep 9 02:10:36 UTC 2003

Given that the local Louisville version (c. 1950s) that the Stalker household
is familiar with had no telephone wires or noses in the saying, it is possible
that the saying is a curse, derived from older sources and adapted in some
contexts to modern technology in order to make some sense of it (perhaps for
younger, we hope, more innocent children), or lessen the demonology suggested
by the curse.  If you lie, you will live in flames, i. e., the flames of hell.

Jim Stalker