Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire! (1970)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 9 14:51:10 UTC 2003

At 7:17 AM -0400 9/9/03, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>L,
>
>Careful with this scanning stuff. Remember there are some of use who
>have monosyllabic "wire" and "liar." (Surely not my Milwaukee wife
>however!)
>
>dInIs

Liar, liar, pants on fire
Nose is longer than a copper telephone wire

--monosyllabic "liar", "fire" and "wire" doesn't help.  Now if
"copper" and "telephone" are monosyllabic too, you're talking
scansion.  The versions below without "copper" would be fine
(metrically), or the copper-free version we began with.