eye-dialect

Wed Sep 10 18:06:10 UTC 2003

My point is that "sez" does not reflect pronunciation at all in the
influence it has on the reader. Even though the speaker says "sez,"
the "respelling" causes the reader to think that the speaker being
represented by the respelling is dull, uneducated, back-woodsish,
etc..... So eye-dialect (still 'traditionally') is defined as a
respelling which DOES NOT reflect any pronunciation different from
one suggested by the "standard" spelling. I am sure the idea that an
uneducated speaker might use such a spelling may play some part in
the association.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston