Mamet

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed Sep 10 18:19:12 UTC 2003

I noticed a few years ago that an English friend (an academic who teaches
at Lancaster University) used "innit" as an all-purpose prompt for
confirmation, a la the German "nicht wahr?"  I.e., not merely "That's
funny, innit?" but e.g., "He's crazy...innit?"  There didn't even have to
be a form of "be" in the sentence, though I can't think of a
plausible-sounding example just now.

Peter Mc.

--On Tuesday, September 9, 2003 11:24 AM -0400 sagehen