Pupusas (1955)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 11 23:15:17 UTC 2003

   I checked the archives.  My Popik-posted pupusa was 1956.

!QUE RICO!:
RECIPES FROM LATIN AMERICA
Pan American Union
Washington, D. C.
(No date.  NYPL's CATNYP has 1955--ed.)

Pg. 2:  EL SALVADOR
Pupusas--Fillled Corn Pancakes...12

Pg. 12:
_PUPUSAS_
_(Salvadorean Tortilla)_
Cook a pound of corn meal with sufficient amount of water until it reaches the consistency of workable dough.  Put it aside.  Prepare a mixture of cooked and mashed kidney beans, crumbled, fried bacon or bacon cracklings and crushed bay leaves.  Now spread the corn meal dough thin and cut in size of small pancakes.  Spread the bean mixture on the tortilla covering each with another thin tortilla.  Fry in greased skillet as you would a hamburger.

(I did _not_ see "pupusas" in the South American food books of Cora Brown (1939) and Charles H. Baker Jr. (1951), which I'll discuss in my next post--ed.)