Rodeo, Canaca, Pisco, Tambo, Duende (1831)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 14 01:15:24 UTC 2003

CANACA

   "Kanaka"--sometimes said to be related to "Canuck"--is given in the OED from 1840.  The following book (three volumes) was a nice read, with some great notes.

CAMPAIGNS AND CRUISES,
IN
VENEZUELA AND NEW GRENADA,
AND IN
THE PACIFIC OCEAN;
FROM 1817 to 1830
in three volumes
("Vowell, Richard Longeville" is handwritten as the author--ed.)
London: Longman and Co.
1831

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 133:  They also make considerable quantities of a thick, dark-colored, syrup, called here (Pg. 134--ed.) _melado_, or _miel_, which they use with cheese, and _mazamurra_, a sort of hasty pudding, made of boiled maize, bruised on a stone.  On some few plantations they boil the syrup down, without clarifying it, and pour it into moulds, where it forms a coarse, ungranulated substance; called, according to the shape of the moulds, _papelon_ and _panela_.  On the coast of Peru, where it is also made, the natives give it the name of _chancaca_.
   ("Mazamorra" has over 4,500 Google hits, mostly in Spanish--ed.)

Pg. 178:  The walking dress, worn by the Bogotenas, is singular and becoming: it consists of the _saya_, _mantilla_, and _sombrero_.  The _saya_ is merely a skirt, which covers the clothes that are worn in the house; and is made either of fine black kerseymere, or sarsnet, with generally two or more deep fringes of broad black lace, or silk net, with tassels and black bugles.  It is so narrow, that the wearers cannot possibly take long steps; and, when they have to pass a gutter in the streets, they are obliged, literally, to take a standing jump, with both feet close together.
   (OED has 1841 for "saya"--ed.)

Pg. 220:  Well may the Spaniards be called throughout South America, _Los Godos,_--the Goths! a name which they have richly merited, by this, and innumerable similar instances of ignorance, rapacity, and devastation, that have disgraced them in that part of the world.
   ("Gogo" is not recorded?  I found it in another book, also.  Similar to "Gringo"?--ed.)

Pg. 260:  There were on board several _Canacas_, (Sandwich islanders), who, it is well known, are all excellent swimmers.

Pg. 260:  ...for our salt provisions, and the jerked beef, called on this coast _charqui_, had been brought all the way from Chile, and was in a very bad condition.

Pg. 260:  They could by no means be prevailed on to taste the soup, or rather stew, that was made of them; although it was extremely (Pg. 261--ed.) palateable, and had even plenty of Pisco wine put in it, for the purposes of tempting them to lay aside their scruples respecting it.

Pg. 272:  A barrel of Pisco aguardiente, sent them from on board, completed their joy.
   (See ADS-L archives for "Pisco" and "Pisco Punch"--ed.)

Pg. 310:  The refreshments always handed round at these Chinganas is _punche_, made of small branches and leaves of the _culen_ plant boiled in water, with some allspice.  This beverage being sweetened, and mixed with aguardiente, is usually cooled with lumps of ice, or frozen snow, from the Cordillera.
   In Autumn, the _rodeo_ takes place, on every large estate in Chile; and is a season of jubilee and merriment among the Huazos and peons throughout (Pg. 311) the country.  This word literally signifies, _the surrounding_, and implies the operation of collecting and driving together all the cattle of the _estancia_, for the purpose of taking account of them, and branding such as have not yet received the proprietor's mark; which is always some strange looking hieroglyphic, as letters are never used for this purpose.  In the rodeo, the good horsemanship of the Huazos, and their dexterity in the use ofthe lazo, are conspicuously displayed.
   (The usual word wizards have 1834 for "rodeo"--ed.)

Pg. 462:  NOTE 6, p. 33.
   _Tazajo_, called on the West coast _cahrqui_, is beef dried in the sun.  The flesh of the bullock is cut into long narrow slices, not more than half an inch thick, which are hung up in the open air, and frequently turned.  They soon become perfectly hard, retain no unpleasant smell, and will keep good for considerable time.  In some parts of the country, where the air is damp, as in the neighborhood of lagoons, and in the Llanos of Venezuela, which are intersected by numerous rivers and creeks, the strips of beef are sprinkled with a little salt, previous to being hung up to dry.

Pg. 464:  NOTE 13, p. 75.
   The term _Godo_ or Goth, was applied at the commencement of the revolution exclusively to the Spaniards, who were entitled to it as well by descent, as by the devastations they committed in South America.  It was afterwards given indiscriminately to all Royalists; who, in turn, called the Patriots _Chocutos_, literally _croppies_; _caballo chocuto_ signifying a cropped horse.

Pg. 465:  NOTE 17, p. 90.
   Arepa is the Indian term for bread in general; it is used by the crioles exclusively for maiz cakes.  The grain of which these are made, after being pounded in a large wooden mortar by two women, who strike it alternately with _majaderos_, or heavy pestles, to loosen the husks, is boiled, and suffered to stand all night in the same water.  It is then bruised by hand, with a round stone, on a flat slab of granite, laid slanting to let the water run off; and is made into small cakes, which are baked on an earthen plate, without adding leaven or salt.  This is considered a very nourishing kind of bread, but is, of course, exceedingly insipid.

Pg. 468:  NOTE 26, p. 241.
   A _pulperia_, called also in Peru and Chile, _bodegon_, is a shop for the sale of groceries and liquors.  It must be distinguished from the Mexican _pulqueria_, which is used exclusively to designate houses that sell pulque, a fermented beverage made from a species of aloe.

Pg. 469:  NOTE 30, pg. 260.
   The word _canaca_ literally means _man_ in the language of the Sandwich islanders.  It is used by navigators to designate a native of those islands.
      NOTE 31, p. 261.
   The Mexican flag consists of three perpendicular stripes; red next the mast, white, and green.  In the centre compartment is a vulture, perched on a prickly-pear bush, holding a serpent in her talons.  This, according to tradition, was the first object that caught the attention of Cortez, at his landing on the coast of Mexico.
      NOTE 32, p. 280.
   Notwithstanding the name of _almendral_, which this suburb bears, not a single almond tree grows within leagues of it.
      NOTE 33, p. 341.
   The Chilenos cook charqui, both fresh and stale, in several different ways, in all of which it is very palateable.  The _charquican_ is a standing dish throughout the country, and is far prefereable to the celebrated Spanish _olla_.  The charqui, being cut into small pieces, is pounded between two stones, and picked as fine as oakum.  it is then put into a stew-pan, with butter, potatoes, red pepper, and in (Pg. 470--ed.) summer, green peas or _frijoles_, in winter, pieces of pumpkin.  These ingredients are all mashed together, enough of water being added to soften the vegetables.  The _valdiviana_ is made of charqui pounded as before, and rinsed in scalding water.  It is eaten with vinegar, pepper, and sliced onions.

 Pg. 470:  NOTE 36, p. 385.
   The name of the unfortunate Emperor of Mexico, is always spelled _Motezuma_ by the South Americans.  The Mexicans themselves, who must certainly be allowed to bethe best authority on this head, pronounce the name "_Moh-tenzuma_."

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 327:  NOTE 21, p. 71.
   A _tambo_ is an Indian caravanserai, built in many parts of South America, (more particularly in the Cordillera,) in which no shelter would otherwise be within a traveller's reach.  Each tambo is kept in repair by the neighbouring natives; and is provided, from time to time, with fuel, straw or rushes for beds, earthen ollas for cooking, and dried venison or vicuna's flesh.

Pg. 331:  NOTE 39, p. 236:
  _Chicha de pina_, cider made of pine-apples, a common beverage in many parts of South America.

VOLUME THREE
Pg. 343:  NOTE 12, p. 138.
   The belief in _duendes_, or fairies, is very prevalent throughout South America; particularly in Peru and Chile.
   (OED has 1924 for "duende"--ed.)

IT NEVER STOPS! (continued, of course)

   Just amazing.
   Every year, every month, every week, maybe every day in this great information age.  No one who writes for a newspaper can Google.  No one.
   Elementary school children can Google!  Newspaper writers can't figure it out?
   I never get credit or money--not even one free hot dog.  Ever.

(NEXIS)
Copyright 2003 Gannett Company, Inc.
USA TODAY
September 10, 2003, Wednesday, FINAL EDITION
SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. 2C
LENGTH: 153 words
HEADLINE: Long time since Cubs, White Sox have been in this position
BYLINE: Mike Dodd
(...)
 * The hot dog gets its name, legend has it, as New York newspaper cartoonist Tad Dorgan pens an illustration of a dachshund in a bun after attending a ballgame at the Polo Grounds.

(NEXIS)
Copyright 2003 Seattle Post-Intelligencer
THE SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
September 10, 2003, Wednesday FINAL
SECTION: LIFE AND ARTS, Pg. E2

LENGTH: 672 words

HEADLINE: FRANKLY, YOU CAN'T LOSE WITH A RED HOT DOG

SOURCE: JOHN OWEN

BODY:  EVERYBODY HAS a helpful suggestion for the Mariners during this stretch drive to the World Series.

Actually, I have two of them.

Don't just stand there with the bat on your shoulder when the count is three balls and two strikes. Nobody believes umpires are infallible. Then why should any batter act that way on close pitches?

If occasionally swinging the bat on a 3-2 count doesn't improve the clutch hitting, then station a food vendor at every entrance to Safeco Field, frying hot dogs in giant skillets.

That last suggestion was passed along to me by the sport's greatest innovator, the late Bill Veeck. He recognized that, on average, teams will lose as many games as they win. The trick is to send the fans home happy, even after the losses.

He did it with energetic promotions and by selling the sizzle as well as the tube steak.

"Why did I put these guys with frying pans at all the entrances?" he asked. "You can't grill 40,000 hot dogs to order. But when the fans see and smell those wieners sputtering in the pans, they can't resist. They want to believe that's what they are eating up in the grandstand even though they really know better."

>From the sport's earliest days, baseball promoters have been battling image problems, in regard to hot dogs. During a cold spell at the Polo Grounds in New York, Harry Stevens wasn't selling any ice cream, so he ordered sausages and buns sent to the concession stands and vendors were instructed to yell, "Hot dachshund sausages, get 'em while they're hot." Thus the term "hot dog" was created.

A few years later, however, rumors spread that ballpark frankfurters actually contained dog meat. It didn't help that a sports cartoonist named Tad Dorgan began to draw sketches of wieners with faces, feet and tails.

So vendors were told to forget the dogs and to advertise their products by hollering, "Coney Islands...get your Red Hots."
(...)