Caribbean food (Allsopp books); Notes on West Indies (1806)

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Fri Sep 19 17:54:48 UTC 2003

At 11:03 AM 9/19/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:23:47 EDT,  Bapopik at AOL.COM
>quotes inter alia:
>

> > Pg. 76: This sense of distinction is strongly manifested in the sentiment
> > conveyed by the vulgar expression so common in the island--"neither Charib,
> > nor
> > Creole, but true Barbadian," and which is participated even by the slaves,
> > who
> > proudly arrogate a superiority above the negroes of the other islands!  Ask
> > one of them if he was imported, or is a Creole, and he immediately
> > replies--"_Me
> > neder Chrab, nor Creole, Massa!--me troo Barbadian born_."
> >   ("Charib" and "Chrab" for Carib?--ed.)
>
>Considering that "Bajan" is the common short form, or nickname, or something,
>for "Barbadan", it is possible that palatalization occurs more often in the
>dialect of Barbados than in other English-speaking areas.

Cf. Bajan, Cajun, Injun, immejate (=immediate)--very common in British
English-derived dialects, and then adopted by others as accepted usages or
for mocking/stereotyping (Cajun, Injun).