Feuchtwanger, Boepple, Tamme information

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 23 00:12:15 UTC 2003

   I e-mailed her to see if she had any genealogical information and got this response.  I'll post it in full so she can receive any credit.
   Now, I could look up "Feuchtwanger" and "hot dogs" easily in the CHICAGO TRIBUNE, if I just had that darned Proquest CHICAGO TRIBUNE...

Barry Popik

  Subj:
Re: Feuchtwanger, Tamme, Boepple
  Date:
9/22/2003 6:27:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time
  From:
Lynne Wohlers <lwohgerman at earthlink.net>
  To:
Bapopik at aol.com

Dear Barry Popik,

 It's been a while since I researched Anton Ludwig Feuchtwanger.  I am no longer researching Anton, but will look for whatever information I have.

 Anton was a sausage peddler from Bavaria, or Frankfurt, Germany.  Anton was supposed to have invented the Hot Dog on a Bun in the summer of 1883 in St. Louis, Missouri.  Anton was also supposed to have invented the Hot Dog on a Bun at the St. Louis Worlds Fair in 1904.  I am not sure what date is correct.  Anton worked for John Boepple and William Tamme, who were sausage makers, at 2nd and Plum Streets at the Jean Baptiste Roy House, in St. Louis, Missouri.  The house is gone, and was replaced with the St. Louis Arch, or Jefferson National Expansion Memorial.  While I was doing my research, I found that there was a plaque dedicated to Anton Ludwig Feuchtwanger in 1947, by the Young Men's Division of the St. Louis Jr. Chamber of Commerce.  I believe I contacted City Hall, and there was a plaqe dedicated to Anton in the basement.  The plans were to put a memorial under the St. Louis Arch, honoring people who received plaques.

 There are many articles on Anton Ludwig Feuchtwanger in a St. Louis newspaper in 1947.  I forget the name of the newspaper right now.  It was when they were tearing down the Jean Baptiste Roy House.  There was a protest to keep the house as a Historical Monument, as the place where the Hot Dog on a Bun was invented.  I will see if I can find the newspaper articles.
 I never found a date of death for Anton.  It is possible that he was in St. Louis for some time, and eventually moved.  As for John Boepple and William Tamme, I think there are descendants of William Tamme still living in St. Louis today.  I do not know about John Boepple.  The last time I researched Anton was about 1994.

 Sincerely
 Lynne Wohlers
 Long Beach, California

 Bapopik at aol.com wrote:

   I'm researching the "hot dog," and it's very important.  What do you have on Feuchtwanger, Boepple, and Tamme?  Do you have historic articles (before 1950)?  Do you have their dates of death so I can check obituaries?

  Barry Popik (Ancestry.com member)
  New York, NY