Bloody Mary

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Thu Sep 25 18:59:12 UTC 2003

Actually, "bloody" did use to be a swear word--counted among the many words
relating to the death of Christ and thus considered profane, including
"zounds" (short for "God's wounds"). Nowadays it has about the same impact
as saying "damned."

But to get back to the original question, Bloody Mary is so named because
of her reputation for having Protestants killed (she didn't physically kill
them herself--queens have other people to do the nasty work for them)--and
yes, schoolchildren call her that without a second thought. I doubt they
even connect it with the "swearing" use of "bloody," which most of them
employ frequently enough!

Wendalyn Nichols