Re:       ADS/LSA hotel rates

Tue Sep 30 02:12:01 UTC 2003

I guess this is a valid point. We did not meet our guarantee at the DSNA
meeting at Duke this spring, and we did indeed have to pay a penalty, which
ultimately will be paid for by DSNA members who attend the next meeting of DSNA in
the form of higher registration fees (since we have no surplus to send ahead to
the next conference hosts). The chief reason for this, however, was that
fewer people actually attended than we expected. One always assumes that a certain
number of people will book rooms at cheaper hotels in the neighborhood.

In the case of LSA/ADS in Boston, though, the fact that the Sheraton would
price their supposedly discounted rooms higher than the Hilton ACROSS THE STREET
seems to me to mean that the Sheraton is doing some price gouging. LSA should
be complaining that the contract is unfair, which it apparently is. I realize
that the Hilton does not have to furnish meeting rooms, so maybe this is a
factor in making their prices somewhat lower. Maybe LSA should have given some
thought to the possible effects of competition from across the street when they
signed the contract with Sheraton.

In any case, I can't imagine that this is somehow a new situation, as
Luanne's message seems to imply. Surely people have opted for cheaper hotel rooms in
the past when the quality was the same and the convenience was no different.
And I can't believe that people will pass up considerable savings in Boston
because they fear that their conference registration fees may go up a few dollars
in the future.