I am so fucked

Fri Apr 2 20:21:25 UTC 2004

>From Jesse:

#I'm not sure what sense this is supposed to be in. If the character
#means "I'm in deep trouble," then there are examples of this (in
#the same adjectival-ish use) in The F-Word going back to around
#1930. I suppose with the inclusion of the "so" (which we've discussed
#at length on this list) we'd have to regard it as a real adjective, as
#opposed to something more ambiguous in some predicative construction
#(Larry and Arnold will probably jump in to set me straight here), and
#should be included under _fucked_ adj. The "so" is late '80s, say,
#and this would require one to read "fucked" as an absolute, which I
#do.

In this sense: one of the most famous lines from the 1999 film _Galaxy
Quest_ is, IIRC, "We are fucked! We are SO fucked!!"

Not that it's any kind of antedate.

-- Mark A. Mandel