Dip (1948)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 4 02:41:32 UTC 2004

   Here are Bruce Kraig and the OED on "dip."
   We can do better than the 1950s and early 1960s, but not by much.

(NEXIS)
Copyright 2004 Paddock Publications, Inc. Â
Chicago Daily Herald
March 17, 2004, Wednesday All
SECTION: FOOD; Pg. 1

LENGTH: 1329 words

HEADLINE: Slam dunk Make-ahead dips make March less Maddening

BYLINE: Deborah Pankey Daily Herald Food Editor

BODY: Â Since early humans discovered meat tasted better dunked in another flavoring, whether salt or smashed berries, dips have held a place on our tables. Â

And while there's probably more than one comparison you could make between Neanderthals and the guys gathered in your living room for round one of the NCAA Championship Tournament, we'll limit the discussion to food. Â

"Dips are part of social functions; it brings people together," says Bruce Kraig, noted culinary historian and professor at Roosevelt University in Schaumburg. Â

>From the ancient Greeks who dipped their glasses into communal wine krater and 19th-century socialites who served dinner from chaffing dishes to 1950s housewives who stirred soup mix into sour cream, we enjoy the social aspect of gathering around a communal bowl. Â

"It sounds kinda hokey, but the dip bowl is like the water cooler in an office," says chef Kim Shambrook of Bespoke, a catering and culinary event company in Chicago. Because its eaten in small bites "dip gives the opportunity for conversation; people crowd around them." Â

And while creamy dips like French onion and spinach have become synonymous with parties, that hasn't always been the case. Â

"Dips, as we know them, didn't really get started until we had things to dip into them," Kraig says. Once we had Ritz crackers, we had Kraft Music Hall Clam Dip and Lipton Onion Soup California Dip. The 1950s lifestyle of outdoor cookouts and bridge parties increased the popularity of these portable foods. Â
(...)

(OED)
DIP, n.
 c. A savoury mixture into which biscuits, etc., are dipped.
  1960 J. KIRKWOOD There must be a Pony! (1961) viii. 61 We were up to our necks in dips: clam dip, cheese dip, mushroom dip. 1962 L. DEIGHTON Ipcress File xxi. 143, I was loaded with anchovy, cheese dip, hard egg and salmon. 1962 Woman's Own 1 Dec. 49/2 Have a trolley of savouries and ‘dips’ ready to wheel in. Ibid. 50/2 Use as a dip with crisps or savoury biscuits.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Dip With Oriental Flavor Easily Made
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 24, 1960. p. A12 (1 page)

New Dips Dress Sea Food Canapes
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Aug 14, 1958. p. A6 (1 page)

Low-Calorie Dip Has Rich Taste
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Apr 10, 1958. p. A8 (1 page)

Nibble Food: Avocado Dip
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Sep 19, 1957. p. A2 (1 page)

Dips Are Latest From Dallas; They Make Good Party Snacks Chive Cheese-Almond Dip Cheese and Ham Dip Green Goddess Dip Confetti Dip Clam-Cheese Dip
By Eleanor Richey Johnston Written for The Christian Science Monitor. Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Jul 15, 1955. p. 9 (1 page)

Potato Chip Has Developed From an Uncertain Experiment Into a Precise and Tasty Delicacy; One of Top Uses Today is Prime Mover for 'Dips'
MARIAN MANNERS. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Feb 27, 1955. p. C12 (1 page)

CREAM CHEESE CHEF'S 'MAN FRIDAY' FOR MANY RECIPES
MARIAN MANNERS. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Dec 10, 1952. p. B4 (1 page):
   Clam Cream Cheese Dip.

The Life of the Party; Life
Marian Manners. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jan 18, 1948. p. F13 (2 pages)
First page:  Piquant Avocado Dip

Intriguing Ideas for Canape and Hors d'Oeuvre Tray
MARIAN MANNERS. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 23, 1947. p. C10 (1 page):
   Guests should dunk the piece of vegetable into the cheese mixture.
      _Cheese mixture_
(No "dip"?--ed.)