Swampoodle

Sean Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Wed Apr 7 04:29:33 UTC 2004

My high school was in a neighborhood of Washington, D.C. called since ancient times "Swampoodle".  My Philadelphia wife just mentioned to me that there is a section of Philadelphia with the same name.  Both were Irish neighborhoods--"shanty-towns", say some accounts--subject to flooding.  (Another coincidental similarity is that both were home to early professional baseball teams and Cornelius McGillicuddy--later known as Connie Mack--played in both the Swampoodle Grounds for the Washington Nationals (late 1880s) and Shibe Park for the Philadelphia Athletics. )

Web searches found Swampoodle Creek in Texarkana, TX; Brownsville (aka Swampoodle), Loudon Co., VA  ("low swampy area"); and Swampoodle Park, in Harmony, PA.  Geologists have designated a kind of soil as Swampoodle.

Does anyone know the origin of the term?

Seán Fitzpatrick
Help the ontologically challenged realize their potential
http://www.logomachon.blogspot.com/