Musica ranchera; In heat of battle; Hop & Pop and skydiving slang

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 10 16:57:46 UTC 2004

MUSICA RANCHERA

   Most of the Google hits are Spanish, of course, but my wife Jennifer Lopez
informs me this is a Selena-type phenomenon.
   From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 9 April 2004, pg. B1, col. 2:

_Death of a Latino Idol Wakes Up Marketers_
By MIRIAM JORDAN
_Paramount, Calif._
   PRACTICALLY nobody in mainstream America had heard of Mexican-American
singer Adan Sanchez until 15,000 people mobbed a Los Angeles-area church last
week for his memorial service.
   Killed in a car crash in late March while on tour in northwestern Mexico,
the 19-year-old singer of Mexican country-style melodies, known as _musica
ranchera_, had a fierce following among teenagers in Hispanic towns and varrios
in California, Texas and other Southwedstern states.  Since his death, his fans
have placed hysterical calls to radio stations and held public vigils on both
sides of th border--catching much of the non-Hispanic world by surprise.

IN THE HEAT OF BATTLE, THINGS ARE RARELY AS BAD AS THEY LOOK

   Ralph Peters is/was a military officer who writes a column for the NEW
YORK POST.  From the NEW YORK POST, 9 April 2004, pg. 31, col. 4:

   One old soldier's maxim applies: In the heat of battle, things are rarely
as bad as they look.  The victory belongs to the side that has the greater
strength of will.  Just don't quit.

   A search for "in the heat of battle" results in "things are said/done that
you don't mean."  Not "rarely as bad as they look/seem."  I'm sure Peters is
indeed citing an old soldier's maxim, but it's just not mainstream yet.

HOP AND POP

   Not a new brand of Popik hops sold at Stop & Shop.
   From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 9 April 2004, pg. W10, col. 5:

   Among the most popular items being co-opted by adults: $99 "Hop and Pop"
seats, brightly colored, cubed and cylinder-shaped foam stools that don't take
up much room.

HOP AND POP--5,050 Google hits, 789 Google Groups hits
  (many for "hip-hop and pop" music)

   Skydiving slang has been a little neglected.  "Whuffo," for example,
doesn't appear in the CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG.   Neither does POP (Parachutist
Over Phorty).
   Lexicographers need to get out a little.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)