Florida: Summer on yams, Winter on Yankees (1883)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 11 18:10:16 UTC 2004

    From the AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN QUOTATIONS (1997),
"Florida," pg. 190:

In summer the crackers live off the yams; in winter they live off Yanks.
   ---ANONYMOUS, Florida saying, in H. L. Mencken,
   _A New Dictionary of Quotations on Historical Principles_, 1942

   We'll do much better, of course, and neither the yams nor the Yankees will
thank us.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
F/S: Deland. FLORIDA DAYS: 1889
... com http://www.auldbooks.com/biblio/clients/lieberman.html "In Summer we
all live
off the yams and fish In Winter we live off the Yanks" -- Old Florida saying
rec.arts.books.marketplace - Aug 19, 1996 by Ron Lieberman/Family Album -

Florida
... mangrove roots. --Elizabeth Bishop In summer the crackers live off the
yams; in winter they live off the Yanks. --Anonymous -- bruce ...
alt.quotations - Apr 28, 2001 by The Sanity Inspector - View Thread (7
articles)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Defiance Democrat - 4/12/1883
...best. In the SUMMER the Floridians live on YAMS and sugarcane; and in the
WINTER on..
Defiance, Ohio Thursday, April 12, 1883  1044 k
Pg. 2?, col. 3:
   A Southern journal says there are three seasons in Florida--the orange,
vegetable and invalid; the last paying the best.  In the summer the Floridians
live on yams and sugarcane, and in the winter on Yankees.

Helena Independent - 4/20/1883
...best. In the SUMMER the Floridians live on YAMS and sugar cane, and the
WINTER on..
Helena, Montana Friday, April 20, 1883  583 k