"But I know what I like" (1902); "Hole in your soul" (1967)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 11 23:30:37 UTC 2004

BUT I KNOW WHAT I LIKE

   "I don't know anything about music, really, but I know what I like" is credited to Gelett Burgess, ARE YOU A BROMIDE? (1906).

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
"EDUCATION" IN MUSICAL TASTE; Some of the Recent Work that Has Been Influencing Great Masses of People.
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 9, 1902. p. 15 (1 page):
   "I don't know anything about music, but I know what I like" is the final and all-sufficient dictum in this matter.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE BLUES, YOU'VE GOT A HOLE IN YOUR SOUL

BLUES + HOLE IN YOUR SOUL--589 Google hits, 151 Google Groups hits

   The AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN QUOTATIONS gives this "ANONYMOUS, saying."
   It's usually mentioned with the "blues," but a citation below involves "gospel."

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
The Jazz Bit Buddy Blasts Out Rich New Sound
By Louise D. Stone. The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Jan 8, 1967. p. G4 (1 page):
   I didn't think that anything new could b3e done with "West Side Story" tunes, but the "West Side Story" medley as structured by Bill Reddie is an absolute gasser.  It will blow a hole in your soul!  It is sensational.

'Mercy, Mercy' Hits the Charts
By Louise D. Stone. The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Jan 29, 1967. p. G5 (1 page):
   Capitol is about to release an album to include "Mercy"--a subtle gospel-styled tune which makes folks hum it for weeks after the initial hearing.  If you don't dig it, you've got a hole in your soul.

Albert King, Guitarist, Gives Loud Support to Blues Power
MIKE JAHN.. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 17, 1968. p. 52 (1 page):
   "If you don't dig the blues you got a hole in your soul," says Albert King, a guitarist who digs the blues.  "This is what they call blues power."