this message brought to you by the letter P

Geoff Nathan an6993 at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Apr 12 12:08:48 UTC 2004

At 11:56 AM 4/9/2004, James A. Landau wrote:

>[OT:  does anyone have any evidence whether the Latin "soft C" was or was not
>pronounced /s/?  I have two lines of evidence that it was not, but I cannot
>identify what the true sound would have been.]
The standard references on the pronunciation of Latin are

Author: Allen, W. Sidney (William Sidney), 1918-

Title: Vox Latina : a guide to the pronunciation of classical Latin / by W.
Sidney Allen.

Imprint: Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 1978.
Edition: 2d ed.

Subjects: Latin language --Pronunciation.

ISBN: 0521220491

and

Author: Sturtevant, Edgar Howard, 1875-

Title: The pronunciation of Greek and Latin, the sounds and accents, by
E.H. Sturtevant ...

Imprint: Chicago, Ill., University of Chicago Press [c1920]

Subjects: Greek language --Pronunciation.

Everything you ever wanted to know about why we think 'Keekeroh' pronounced
his name that way is in there.  There's probably stuff with more recent
research than Allen but I haven't kept up with the research.

Geoff